Bristol riders your help is needed at Ashton Court MTB Trails!
12 September 2019 | By billy1979
Pedal Progression and the Ashton Court Trail Advocacy Group need your help for their most ambitious project to date from Wednesday 9th to Friday 18th October 2019.
They want to resurface from the hole in the wall on Beggar Bush lane all the way down to the miniature railway – highlighted in purple on the map below (linking the two sections refurbished in December 2018). As ever, more help means more berms, rollers and a lovely flowing feature-rich trail.
At circa. 1400m this will be the longest section we have ever attempted to restore. It also has the potential to be the most complicated. Due to access restrictions in place to protect the rare species and habitats adjacent to the trail, work will be undertaken in three distinct phases:
- Early August, Architrail is putting in dumps of stone along the trail to keep the length of barrow pushes to a minimum.
- Early October, Architrail will be in to prepare the surface.
- 9th-18th October, volunteer days, building lots of lovely features
In March this year 70 volunteer/days of effort went into the 900m Quarry Trail project. The two Beggar Bush Lane sections completed in December 2018 were of a similar scale. This suggests we need about 100 volunteer/days for the 1400m of trail repairs planned for this October.
Help build our volunteer base, sign up and get your mates to as well
Though tiring, working on the trails is a laugh and everyone seems to get immense satisfaction from giving something back. We know this could change if we ask too much of folks, so a key focus is to get volunteer numbers up. Currently there are 141 people on the email list, ideally we would like to get this up to 300 by the start of October.
- If you have helped or want to help, but are not currently getting email updates from Chris Leeks, please contact him so he can add you to our headcount.
- Get a mate to sign up. This is really vital, please spread the word.
- Contact (use [email protected], or better still [email protected])
Due to H&S, the minimum age of volunteers is 16.
Happy trails, we hope you enjoy a great summer of riding!
From all at Pedal Progression and the Ashton Court Trail Advocacy Group.