MoreDirt
Advertise Here

help what mountain bike?

Got a bike or gear comment or question? Post it here
19 postsPage 1 of 21, 2

Postby hardtailhero
Tue Feb 07, 2012 8:54 am

what is the best bike available of under £200 . i will use it for trails, light downhill and small jumps?
hardtailhero offline

Postby dkcrooby
Tue Feb 07, 2012 10:19 am

I think what you should do is sit back, digest all the information you have already been given, some of which includes suggestions on bikes that may fall within your price range as possible second-hand bikes. Have a look at ebay and pinkbike once you've decided which bike you would like to get your hands on. If you find a bike on either copy and paste a link, and I'm sure we will be happy to help.
Ask yourself if you want a fixerupper and if you have to knowhow to fix it up, or do you want a bike that is ready to ride. Once you have a firm idea in your head about what it is you are looking for, then you will start making informed choices. :D
dkcrooby offline

Postby DirtDisciple
Tue Feb 07, 2012 8:00 pm

dkcrooby wrote:I think what you should do is sit back, digest all the information you have already been given, some of which includes suggestions on bikes that may fall within your price range as possible second-hand bikes. Have a look at ebay and pinkbike once you've decided which bike you would like to get your hands on. If you find a bike on either copy and paste a link, and I'm sure we will be happy to help.
Ask yourself if you want a fixerupper and if you have to knowhow to fix it up, or do you want a bike that is ready to ride. Once you have a firm idea in your head about what it is you are looking for, then you will start making informed choices. :D

second that.........
DirtDisciple offline

Postby andrew_mck_2010
Tue Feb 07, 2012 9:51 pm

you have two options:

1. wait until you have more money
2. look on pinkbike, ebay, gumtree etc for a second hand hardtail in your price range close to where you live

there is no point wasting your money on trying to upgrade your current bike as the frame is terrible and will not hold up to the abuse, it will also look really stupid !
andrew_mck_2010 offline

Postby DirtDisciple
Tue Feb 07, 2012 10:09 pm

andrew_mck_2010 wrote:you have two options:

1. wait until you have more money
2. look on pinkbike, ebay, gumtree etc for a second hand hardtail in your price range close to where you live

there is no point wasting your money on trying to upgrade your current bike as the frame is terrible and will not hold up to the abuse, it will also look really stupid !

Andrew, I think looking at some other posts we have already driven that point home about his current steed, good news he is now looking at other machines
DirtDisciple offline

Postby andrew_mck_2010
Tue Feb 07, 2012 10:25 pm

was just simply ruling that idea out and narrowing down his choices to make his decision easier
andrew_mck_2010 offline

Postby DirtDisciple
Tue Feb 07, 2012 10:34 pm

andrew_mck_2010 wrote:was just simply ruling that idea out and narrowing down his choices to make his decision easier

Sorry Andrew I didn't mean to come across wrong, just this lad's about the same age as my son (12) and I think he took it to heart a bit when we all effectively slated not only his bike but his ideas, I was only suggesting that now he's got over that and has come round more to the advice he's been given, I don't see the pointing in hammering the point home any further...if that makes sense

ta
DirtDisciple offline

Postby konastinky888
Tue Feb 07, 2012 11:17 pm

Not bashing the bike but I would de sticker the Apollo (to disguise it) maybe get some cheap stickers off eBay to put back on (not apollo, kona, Spesh, anything) and then also change the stem and handlebars and it will look fine. The stem really stands out as a part to change at the moment. You can get good ones on eBay 2nd hand for cheap. Maybe upgrade the forks too if you can grab a suitable second hand set off a mate again nice and cheap. Then proceed to ride it hard until it dies, hopefully it lasts a while, and then get a new bike.
konastinky888 offline

Postby ObscuraSky
Wed Feb 08, 2012 12:12 am

There's no point looking at a new bike sub-£200, because there's nothing that will stand up to any kind of downhilling or jumping at that price. The answer then has to be to look for something second hand.......and then it's more a case of what's available, rather than picking a particular make or model.

It's still worth remembering though that a crap bike 5 years ago will still be a crap bike today, so go for something that was good in its day, but has since become outdated. So, for example, you'll definately be looking at something with rim brakes rather than disk brakes............ but that's ok; they were good enough for everyone a few years ago and they'll work perfectly well if they're properly set up. A friend of mine bought an old Stump Jumper for £40 recently. He uses it to comute to work on because he's worried about getting his regular bike nicked, but it would cope just fine on the trails too - not all that long ago it was considered a really good bike off-road. Good luck mate.
ObscuraSky offline

Postby carboz
Wed Feb 08, 2012 9:06 am

just keep an eye on ebay etc, my kids are about your age and i got one of them a GT chucker xs1 for £200 and it was only a year old, and a Kona shred for £180 they both needed a bit of work but think the only bits i bought were new grips,just be patient and wait for the right bike to come along, there are plenty of people on here to give you any advice you need when it comes to fixing bikes so dont think you cant do it, the best way to learn about your bike is to take it apart and rebuild it,
8)
carboz offline

Postby hardtailhero
Wed Feb 08, 2012 9:24 am

hi i was thinking of building a bike from scratch starting with the frame. as im only 12 i dont have loads of money so build the bike as i get money and use my current bike until complete? i will post a link an all parts i think of buying and you give me thoughts.
hardtailhero offline

Postby hardtailhero
Wed Feb 08, 2012 9:32 am

thinking of a hardrock frame. go to http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Specialized-H ... _500wt_950
thoughts?
hardtailhero offline

Postby Baggieboy1
Wed Feb 08, 2012 9:36 am

hey mate the hardrocks a good frame have you looked at the GT frames on ebay there was a full gt bike it went for £180 a few days ago
Baggieboy1 offline

Postby hardtailhero
Wed Feb 08, 2012 9:44 am

hi i will have a look at frames im not saying that is the frame i am going to get but just wondering weather its good to build a bike from scratch. as i would like to have a nice custom bike with some nice parts
hardtailhero offline

Postby Baggieboy1
Wed Feb 08, 2012 10:00 am

ive just seen a blue gt chucker on ebay full bike couple of hours left to bid going for £145 at mo . building a bike from scratch is going to cost ya a fair bit of dosh mate forks and wheels ur looking around 300 id look on ebay make a list of parts ull need and a price there going for ull get an idea of the kind of money ull need
Baggieboy1 offline

Advertise Here
Next
19 posts
Page 1 of 21, 2